a typical day in the life of...
New game -- all you bloggers out there, I want to hear about a typical day in your life. This is mostly to motivate some people who shall remain nameless to keep blogging, otherwise how will I procrastinate all day?
So: I'm in a period of change at the moment, so I'll describe what my typical day has been like for the last two months. Wake up, get out of bed, drag a comb across my head. Wait, that's not me, that's George (or one of the fab four, anyway).
6:00 am - hear baby crying. Hope she'll go back to sleep. Sometimes she does, yahoo! Other days, no such luck. Get up, go into the nursery, doze off on the futon while nursing her. Maybe she'll go back to sleep when she's done? Ha! Not likely!
7-7:30 am - leave baby in bed with dh, go take shower. Door opens midway thru shower (this NEVER fails); it's my other dd (dear daughter). That's ok, she's pretty self-sufficient.
8:00 - breakfast. get cereal or whatever on the table while convincing K (dd number 2) that she knows how to put her daytime clothes on all by herself. She keeps getting distracted.
8:30 - try to get out the door; sometimes to drop kids off at dayhome, sometimes they stay with dh.
9:00 - enter my office. Silence! No flashing light on my phone, yay! Check email, deal with internal mail from yesterday, check my to-do list. Wonder of wonders, I'm all caught up! Unbelievable! Ok, so what to tackle today, the research paper I need to get submitted or the course pack I need prepared for July? Hmmm. I know, coffee! No, must do some work.
11:30 - Where has the morning gone? Time to go home and nurse A (dd 1). Put some papers into my bag for working at home while they nap (if I'm lucky) and go out to a) climb the hill to the car, or b) meet dh at the parking lot.
12:00 - pick up kids from dayhome if dh is working. Now the tricky bit -- get lunch on for K while nursing A. A is teething, and nursing is not the easiest thing at the moment. There's about 2 to 3 months where nursing a baby is at it's easiest, IMHO. The start is hard, because they have to learn how, then they figure it out and voila - smooth sailing! Then they start getting interested in the world, and often teething at the same time, and look out; back to square 1 it seems.
12:30 - A is done, but is tired so she wants to be held. Prepare lunch while holding A on hip. Ever try to spread peanut-butter with one hand?
1:00 - A is screaming non-stop, nothing will console her. Tried to nurse her again but got bitten, hard, so that was that. BED!
1:15 - K is done lunch, A cried for about 30 seconds (if that) and then went to sleep. Guess she was tired. Nap-time for K in a bit.
1:30 - Both kids are in bed, if not asleep, at least quiet! Wonders of wonders! Now, do I relax for a bit, or try to work right away? Let's take a short breather then get some work done. That's the hardest part, sitting down to read a paper and just THINK. I have to make sure I take really good notes so that I can pick up where I left off. It's much easier if I have a whole day to work on something, but that doesn't happen anymore.
3:30 - Kids are up, got a bit of work done, now we can play for a bit. We're going to have spaghetti for dinner, we have frozen sauce pre-prepared in the freezer so dinner is a no-brainer. Maybe we'll watch a bit of a video together, not too much though; I don't like to zombify my kids for too long.
5:00 - start defrosting spag sauce and cooking spaghetti while feeding A her dinner.
5:30 - dinner!
6:30 - watch the news
7:00 - bath time; both kids love the bath. A comes out first, I can get her all ready for bed and nurse her a bit in the bathroom while K is playing in the bath. K's ready to come out; that means bed time for A.
8:00 - bed time for K. TIME TO MYSELF, YAY! No, sorry, that should read TIME TO CLEAN UP THE HOUSE. Walk around, pick up odds and ends; I'll clean the bathroom on the weekend. Kitchen ok? Good enough; that's dh's job anyway. Ok, law and order here I come!
So that's my typical day; I'm sure I've missed key portions but those are the things that stick in my head right now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home